Getting meaningful, candid feedback on your podcast episodes is difficult, especially for indie podcasters working without professional teams behind them. In this new community from Timber, members and professionals will join to give each other feedback and support. We’re running this in a new subscriber-only area, called #the-edit, in the Timber Discord server. It’s here to help you improve your show with feedback that goes beyond “sounds great!”
How it works
After subscribing you’ll get access to a special area of the Timber Discord server. Once per month, you can drop up to one hour of unpublished or previously published audio into the channel. Then members and professionals leading each edit will dive in to comment and help.
We value participation that is encouraging, helpful, respectful, and 100 percent of the time coming from a place of loving podcasts and supporting creators.
We will listen with the following nine areas in mind and give you feedback on the ones most relevant to your work:
- Recording notes (any sound quality issues)
- Soundscape (notes on music, sound design, and aural feel)
- Personality (notes on host chemistry, humor, likability)
- Stickiness (what’s keeping listeners engaged and where listeners might lose you)
- Landmines (are there any no-nos like making blanket statements about a groups of people)
- Journalism notes (any journalistic concerns where fact checking or additional research might be suggested?)
- Story notes (how’s the storytelling? Is it immersive, shareable, can you follow it?)
- Format notes (intro/outro/sections sound good and make sense and fit?)
- Writing notes (if parts of the show are scripted, does the script need writing improvements?)
Join now, monthly, by clicking the Stripe payment button below. After signing up, you’ll be given instructions to access our member’s only channel.
Important: Once you pay, you’ll get an email from LaunchPass with instructions. If you get stuck in that process, just shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll help you in.
Meet the Timber Reviewers
Timber has gathered a group of professionals willing to offer their own time to help give your show a nudge in the right direction.
If you haven’t heard of the concept of “the edit” before, listen to Jessica Abel describe it in this episode of Out on the Wire. Simply put, it’s a group meeting where everyone listens for ways to improve the first draft of a show and gives the show’s producer notes.